• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Exhaust

Forum to discuss all the products from this company

Exhaust

Postby kerberus » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:19 pm

Hi guys,

Can anybody point me in the right direction, I need to replace the exhaust down pipe ( turbo ) to silencer on my 1995 sun voyager , Cummins 5.9

Dean
kerberus

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2006

Advertisement

Re: Exhaust

Postby Arthur » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:38 pm

Last Year the exhaust on our previous coach (Monaco Cayman, diesel pusher) was past its sell by date, and it would seem to be in the 'very difficult to source' department plus no luck at Quickfit, so I made contact with a company called Franklin Silencers in Northampton, a chap called David Bateman.
www.franklinsilencers.co.uk

The old exhaust from turbo to tail pipe was take to them by me & they made a complete new unit including the nesc clamps (£350 + vat).
They use a scanner to trace the size & bends on the exhaust which is connected to a computer. This builds a 3D image which is then sent to a bending machine (this can deal with tube up to 127mm) this machine automatically forms the tube to the same shape as the original. The silencer box is made from stock sizes and then the flanges are added by hand to connected the various bits together. It then goes on a paint conveyor to finish it off.
Did not see it being made but they took me around the factory to see the various processes of their production.
The exhaust was made in standard steel although I had spoken about stainless, but I didn't confirm the material with them - my fault- but the existing one has lasted 11 years before it fell apart.

Fitted it all without a problem.

(David tells me that they make some exhausts for Itchy feet too)

Regards

Arthur

The following people have thanked the author Arthur for this post:
doug
Arthur

Thanks given: 11 times
Started RVing: 2000

Postby kerberus » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:21 pm

Thanks Arthur,

I will give them a call and see if they can fabricate a new down pipe.

All the best

Dean
kerberus

Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2006

Postby margaretm » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:50 am

Hi Arthur

Thanks for that post i am sure it will interest a

lot of our fellow members.

Regards Margaret. :) :)
margaretm

Thanks given: 31 times
Started RVing: 2000

Postby WESTIES ON TOUR » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:33 pm

Hi
I did need a full exhaust system on my holiday rambler V8, I taken it to someone I know called custom chrome in nuneaton graham, graham had a good look at it for me and gave me a amazing quote of £400 :lol: and not only that it was a full system in stainless steel, yes stainless steel. :shock:
If you want or need his number pm me.
Hope this helps.
Jason :D :D :)
WESTIES ON TOUR

Thanks given: 16 times
Started RVing: 2010

Return to Gulfstream