• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Wheel trims

Wheel trims

Postby bluewell3 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Hope everone had a good Christmas..

I`m having a problem removing the wheel trims, I`v tried just about everyway I can think of, short of putting a spanner on them, leavering, grips on them, but still solid, there must be an easy way, apart from a blow torch, I dont want to damage them, so any ideas please.

Dave
bluewell3

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 1990

Advertisement

Re: Wheel trims

Postby Damon3272 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:59 pm

Dave your wheel embelishers will be held on by two of the nuts.
Using a spanner or screwdriver tap each nut one by one they will all sound hollow exept two.
Undo them and the embelisher will come of.

Regards Colin
Damon3272

Thanks given: 7 times
Started RVing: 0

Postby bluewell3 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:38 pm

Thanks for your reply Colin, I thought it might have been a spanner job, just have to find one now to fit.

Dave
bluewell3

Postby moandick » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:14 pm

Hi Dave

My wheel trims are held on by three 'nuts' each of which can be found by virtue of the fact that each one has a small slot cut into two of the 'spanner' faces of the nuts.

You normally get a 'T' key type spanner with the RV to undo them - something like a 22mm socket should do the trick.

Dick
moandick

Thanks given: 22 times
Started RVing: 2000

Postby Springtime » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:02 pm

moandick wrote:Hi Dave

My wheel trims are held on by three 'nuts' each of which can be found by virtue of the fact that each one has a small slot cut into two of the 'spanner' faces of the nuts.

You normally get a 'T' key type spanner with the RV to undo them - something like a 22mm socket should do the trick.

Dick

Hi Dick
Mine are more like 30mm - use a box spanner or a deep socket.

Steve
Springtime

Thanks given: 35 times

Postby johnsandywhite » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:38 pm

Damon3272 wrote:Dave your wheel embelishers will be held on by two of the nuts.
Using a spanner or screwdriver tap each nut one by one they will all sound hollow exept two.
Undo them and the embelisher will come of.

:lol: SOME Wheel Trim/Liners have a Stainless Steel covers on the 2 Nuts that hold the Trim/Liners on.
These Stainless Steel covers are pinch covers. ie: They need to be pinched to release them and allow the bolt underneath to be unbolted to release the Trim/Liner.
They will look just like all the other bolts on the cover but have indentations in the two that can be released. ;)
Been there, done that, but never stop learning

johnsandywhite

Thanks given: 2 times

Postby ruffingitsmoothly » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:32 am

On our Monaco RV the wheel trims are secured by 4 or five stainless covered wheel nuts that go over the original nuts and have a nut inside they are identified by indentations a round the outer stainless cover

Regards Pat
Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
(Abraham Lincoln).
ruffingitsmoothly

Thanks given: 63 times

Postby bluewell3 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:58 pm

Looking at them again, 2 have indentations, but they feel solid and putting grips on them they dont want to move or spring off, and on close inspection the base of them look like they could be nuts, the other nut covers look like they are crimped on to the main trim, will get a suitable 30mm socket as soon as I can.

Dave
bluewell3

Postby johnsandywhite » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:09 pm

bluewell3 wrote:Looking at them again, 2 have indentations, but they feel solid and putting grips on them they dont want to move or spring off, and on close inspection the base of them look like they could be nuts, the other nut covers look like they are crimped on to the main trim, will get a suitable 30mm socket as soon as I can.

Dave

:shock: PLEASE. DO NOT Use a Socket on those two with the Indentations. They WILL come off with a pair of Pinch pliers and some gentle persuasion. Perhaps even a squirt of WD40. HONEST. ;)
Been there, done that, but never stop learning

johnsandywhite

Thanks given: 2 times

Postby doug » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Wholehearted agree with John. We once had a flat and called out the RAC who promptly took a chisel :shock: to the caps! The rest of them pulled straight off. I keep a light weight adjustable spanner or pipe wrench (I'm sure there's a proper name for them!) that open wide enough to get a decent grip on them. Saw someone else with a small screwdriver bent through 90 degrees to lever the caps off.
Regards Doug

I keep pressing escape but I'm still here

The American RV Club - The friendly club
doug

Invitations sent: 479
Registered friends: 91
Thanks given: 145 times
Started RVing: 2001

Next

Return to Georgie Boy