• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Wheel trims

Re: Wheel trims

Postby johnsandywhite » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:37 pm

8-) This is the CORRECT tool to release those 2 indented Nut Covers:-

Been there, done that, but never stop learning

johnsandywhite

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 2 times
Started RVing: 2000

Advertisement

Postby ruffingitsmoothly » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:01 pm

johnsandywhite wrote:8-) This is the CORRECT tool to release those 2 indented Nut Covers:-

Hi mine definitely unscrew although not as tight as the wheel nuts I gently use the wheel socket.

Regards Pat
Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
(Abraham Lincoln).
ruffingitsmoothly

Thanks given: 63 times
Started RVing: 0

Postby Damon3272 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:53 pm

The picture above is not the factory supplied T Bar to remove the 2 dummy nuts,it is a pair of UK external pliars which I doubt would be up to the job.
Contrary to previous posts I have had to remove these 2 nuts with a bar and scaffold pole as previous owners tighten them up as if they are wheel nuts.
I understand that the diesel pushers have 3 or more nuts to hold the embelisher on but the petrols only have 2(least the chev/workhorse do).

Regards Colin
Damon3272

Thanks given: 7 times

Postby johnsandywhite » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:39 am

:roll: U understand that SOME RV's MAY be different? But please MAKE SURE what kind it is. IF it HAS Indentations? The surely it will be like the attached photo?
I have ringed the Nut cover to the side of the actual Nut below that holds on the Trim.

Been there, done that, but never stop learning

johnsandywhite

Thanks given: 2 times
Started RVing: 2000

Postby Mrtibbs » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:10 pm

Hi Dave
As I said to you at the Dirty Duck, you should have two stainless steel nut covers that have indentations in them and as previously said if you get a pair of sturdy pipe wrenches on them and squeeze the wrench whilst pulling it the covers should pop off leaving the nut exposed below. Once you have removed both nut covers you can then undo the retaining nuts and remove the wheel liner. Once the wheel liner is off then you can access the rest of the wheel nuts to remove the wheel. This is how it was on my diesel front engined Chevy P30 and although your chassis is a Ford F53 (I think that is the right series???) it should be the same. Try calling the dealer that you bought the RV from, they should be able to tell you how to do it? They might even supply the missing wheel liner at the same time??? Just ask nicely :D :D
Let us know how you get on Dave

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby journeytj » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:30 am

Hi Dave.

On my Journey the trims are held by two nuts which are crimped inside their stainless covers,
they come off as one unit with a large box spanner supplied with the RV.
As there are several different methods used,I would take Keiths advice and check with
your dealer.

005-3.JPG

Terry. :) :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
journeytj

Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 1998

Postby olley » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:28 pm

Hi mine are similar with an indentation in the S/S cover, but they aren't intended to come off the nut, winnie supply a "T" handled box spanner to fit over the cap, and you unscrew cap and nut as one piece.

Olley

PS just seen Terrys post, mine are the same as his.
Winnebago 30W V8 8.1 chevvy LPG conversion. Workhorse W20 Chassis.
Wyrd bid ful araed
Autogas Map of Spain http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... a4&t=h&z=6
olley

Thanks given: 29 times
Started RVing: 2004

Postby Springtime » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:40 pm

olley wrote:Hi mine are similar with an indentation in the S/S cover, but they aren't intended to come off the nut, winnie supply a "T" handled box spanner to fit over the cap, and you unscrew cap and nut as one piece.

Olley

PS just seen Terrys post, mine are the same as his.

Olley
Just to add to the discussion I bought a 30mm deep socket this morning and have taken off the two holding one of the front trims.
I would agree that the intention is to take the nut and cover off as one unit.
However, I think the previous owner or maintenance mechanic has botched one of them as the nut separates fom the cover - see picture.

This one is also very rusty on the backside.
Gonna clean it up and resecure it to the cap properly - then cover it with white spray-on grease to keep the water out.

Steve
IMG_4646.JPG

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Springtime

Thanks given: 35 times

Postby waggler2bb » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:10 am

hello dave ...hope you have your nutts all sorted,i however have trouble keeping them on and have never managed to find new retaining nuts ...american fine tread i belive.

dave
waggler2bb

Started RVing: 2004

Postby bluewell3 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi All

I seem to have started something with these wheel trims, I have now aquired a 30mm socket and as soon as the rain stops will have a go at these nuts, I`v tried again at squeezing, pulling, levering, and cursing, but they just dont move a knats whotsit, so I`m sure it`s a unscrew job, will let you know as soon as I`v found out, thanks for all your comments. :D :D :D :D
bluewell3

Started RVing: 1990

PreviousNext

Return to Georgie Boy