• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Suite

Suite

Postby robotics » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:12 am

Hi , was wondering if any one has any information about the georgie boy suite ? I am seriously looking at a 2000 model, it would be our first rv, we currently have a hymer, and dont want to make a big mistake !! We use our mh a lot in Austria in the winter, and wonder is the georgie boy would stand up well to the minus temperatures. Thanks in advance, Marie :)
robotics

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 0

Advertisement

Re: Suite

Postby doug » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:50 am

Hi Marie,

Welcome to the ARV Club forum and the wonderful world of RVing. We used to own a Georgie Boy Swinger which was essentially a Pursuit. I think that may be the model you're thinking of.

The great thing about RVs is the vast majority of them use exactly the same components. You'll see exactly the same chassis, engines and gearboxes used by most manufacturers. Much of the other equipment is also used by many different brands. The difference seems to come in the quality of the workmanship and material used. Georgie Boy is a middle range brand, the quality isn't bad and the fit and finish is ok. You could see where costs had been saved, lots of things were stapled down and the internal cupboard doors were light and quite flimsy.

It probably isn't as well insulated as some other brands. Although we did use it all year round in freezing conditions we'd leave an oil filled radiator on all night.

Hope that's helpful
Regards Doug

I keep pressing escape but I'm still here

The American RV Club - The friendly club
doug

Invitations sent: 479
Registered friends: 91
Thanks given: 145 times
Started RVing: 2001

Postby olley » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi if your going to be using it in sub zero temperatures for any length of time you will freeze up unless everything is protected. You need to look under the RV, are there pipes showing, can you see the bottom or side of water and waste tanks. If the answer is yes then you need to reroute the pipework so its internal, and insulate the tanks and provide some means of heating them to just above freezing, fish tank heaters are one way. No matter how well insulated pipes are, they will eventually freeze if the temperature stays below zero for long enough, as I think it would in an alpine area.

If your tanks and pipes are exposed, it might be a better idea to look for a different RV, one which has been winterised, usually by having a double floor into which all the services are put.

Olley
Winnebago 30W V8 8.1 chevvy LPG conversion. Workhorse W20 Chassis.
Wyrd bid ful araed
Autogas Map of Spain http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... a4&t=h&z=6

The following people have thanked the author olley for this post:
Sharon
olley

Thanks given: 29 times
Started RVing: 2004

Postby PeteH » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Hi

As General "Rule of thumb" (BUT NOT exclusively!!) "full Basement" models with maybe pass through lockers will more likely have the tanks inside. these will tend to be newer R-V`s (but again not exclusively). My `93 Pusher has all the tanks and pipework internally.

This may help when searching for an R-V on the net as SOME can be discounted at the first hurdle.

pete
PeteH

Thanks given: 2 times
Started RVing: 1996

Postby robotics » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 am

Hi, thanks to everyone for your advice, really helpful, Marie
robotics