• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Windscreen

Windscreen

Postby havewheelswilltravel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:15 am

Hi boys and girls .

Well on my trip this weekend mynboy decided to get in the way of a large stone that was thrown up by traffic and I now have a nice big bulls eye crack on my pass side window.
So the question is can autoglass or another company source this or do I need to go through a rv dealer all thoughts welcomed
And any idea information they will require.

Not a good start to our week away

Alan
havewheelswilltravel

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2006

Advertisement

Re: Windscreen

Postby billl70 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:56 am

havewheelswilltravel wrote:Hi boys and girls .

Well on my trip this weekend mynboy decided to get in the way of a large stone that was thrown up by traffic and I now have a nice big bulls eye crack on my pass side window.
So the question is can autoglass or another company source this or do I need to go through a rv dealer all thoughts welcomed
And any idea information they will require.

Not a good start to our week away

Alan

Hi alan,auto glass will be able to source the glass,best contact them they will tell you which numbers they require from the corner of the glass.Thats assuming you have glass insurance.If your paying contact a dealer it will be cheaper. bill.
billl70

Thanks given: 15 times
Started RVing: 2000

Postby havewheelswilltravel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:14 pm

Thanks Bill
Yes do have windscreen cover but just found out it's through AA auto windshields not auto glass so hope they will be able to do the same.
Once again thanks

Alan
havewheelswilltravel

Postby Mrtibbs » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:15 am

Hi Alan
We have unfortunately had two windscreens break and have found that the UK windscreen companies are less than helpful. The last one went and we contacted the "preferred" windscreen supplier Autoglass who promptly said that they could get a Fiat windscreen but didn't recognise a Gulfstream and what is a Spartan Chassis??? I was then told that they would call back as soon as they has sources the glass from Germany? That was about 18 months ago and I am still waiting for their call back....... :evil: I contacted Signature Motorhomes and asked them if they could deal with it and they said they would. An hour or so later we were called by our insurer to advise us that they had authorised Signature to go ahead with the job and about 10 days later Signature's mobile windscreen fitted arrived at our home (with prior organisation obviously) and fitted the new screen on our driveway. I can thoroughly recommend Signature in that instance and would advise that you contact them rather than wait for ever for Autoglass or whoever to realise that they cannot get the glass and by that time your job has expired from their call sheet and you get left waiting.
Good luck and please let us know the outcome of this.

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby havewheelswilltravel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:26 am

Hi Keith
well i think you are right i have been in touch with my insurance co supplier AA Autowindshiel and also Autoglass and since this happended thursday and still have had no response from them and when i call them i end up on hold and i get fed up and hang up i will give signature a call thanks

regards

Alan
havewheelswilltravel

Postby Mrtibbs » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:09 am

Hi Alan
Any joy?

Keith
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Postby jearing » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:19 pm

I had my windscreen replaced on my winnebago by autoglass with no prob's, contacted my insurer NFU was transferd to autoglass call center, and they took care of everything, ordered came in about 3 weeks from USA fitted very friendly guys cost me £25 excess, cost of windscreen £3000.thank god I had windscreen cover.
Joe
jearing

Thanks given: 3 times
Started RVing: 2009

Postby havewheelswilltravel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi guys.
Well what a sarga my insurance is through sure term direct who put me in touch with AA auto windshields and after 5 days they said they has sourced a screen and delivery in 10 days with £75 excess so thought great.then I get a call from sure term saying glass cover is limited to £1000 .

So guess what i was annoyed . firstly I would not have gone for a insurance with a stupid limit so went through my insurance papers and al the small print etc etc thinking I may have missed something I took to my solicitor who went through it and guess what no mention.
So went back to them and said this they said I would have been told verbally crap I said you said u record calls so I want to hear the play back guess what they cannot do it.

So now I went through enterprise who are my underwriters and now the glass has been ordered through Steve at signature and no limit. Thanks Steve for all your help.

So can I please say whoever has insurance through sure term check your docs urgently.

Alan

The following people have thanked the author havewheelswilltravel - 2:
Sharon, signature
havewheelswilltravel

Postby Mrtibbs » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:49 am

Hi Alan
Really glad that you got this sorted out. Just goes to show that you shouldn't take what the insurer says for granted, always check the small print.....
Well done to Steve, I knew that you would help out :D

Keith
Mrtibbs

Postby AlanT » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:54 pm

havewheelswilltravel wrote:Hi guys.
Well what a sarga my insurance is through sure term direct who put me in touch with AA auto windshields and after 5 days they said they has sourced a screen and delivery in 10 days with £75 excess so thought great.then I get a call from sure term saying glass cover is limited to £1000 .

So guess what i was annoyed . firstly I would not have gone for a insurance with a stupid limit so went through my insurance papers and al the small print etc etc thinking I may have missed something I took to my solicitor who went through it and guess what no mention.
So went back to them and said this they said I would have been told verbally crap I said you said u record calls so I want to hear the play back guess what they cannot do it.

So now I went through enterprise who are my underwriters and now the glass has been ordered through Steve at signature and no limit. Thanks Steve for all your help.

So can I please say whoever has insurance through sure term check your docs urgently.

Alan

When I was looking for insurance both Sureterm and Safeguard told me on the phone the glass limit was £1000. Just looked through my Safeguard terms and there is nothing printed about a glass limit.

Alan
Don't you just hate signatures.
AlanT

Thanks given: 3 times
Started RVing: 0

Next

Return to Georgie Boy