• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

1998 Georgie Boy windscreen?

1998 Georgie Boy windscreen?

Postby k9lover » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased this Georgie Boy and it now has a severely cracked windscreen. I have been quoted £2,500 to replace just the passenger side piece and simply can't afford that much. I know that they only cost $600 in the States. Has anybody had a similar problem and can give me any advice to help me find it cheaper?
Thank yu very much for reading,
Marilyn
k9lover

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 1 times
Started RVing: 2001

Advertisement

Re: 1998 Georgie Boy windscreen?

Postby Mrtibbs » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:07 am

Hi Marilyn
Firstly welcome to the ARV Club forum :D
Is your windscreen not covered by insurance? I would be amazed if it wasn't.... We have been unfortunate to have had two windscreens break and they were taken care of by our insurance. The second screen was on our Gulfstream Sun Voyager and Steve at Signature Motorhomes dealt with it through our insurer and from memory the cost was about £1800ish. They were brilliant as they ordered the glass and shipped it, then sent out their fitter to fit it and remove the old broken screen for us. Great service.
I would check your policy before spending any money.....
HTH

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

The following people have thanked the author Mrtibbs for this post:
k9lover
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby k9lover » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:32 am

Dear Keith,
Thank you for the welcome and thank your for the reply ;) Unfortunately my insurance will only cover up tp £1,000. I spoke to Guardian glass in Detroit and the actual cost of the windscreen is $394.00 US dollars! Ever think we are getting stiched up over here? They don't ship overseas however they are getting me a cost quote and will get back to me on Monday. They were so kind and sympathetic and have offered to arrange shipment for me. Fingers crossed the total will be under £1,000.
Thank you again for your help,
Marilyn
k9lover

Thanks given: 1 times
Started RVing: 2001

Postby Sharon » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:14 am

Hi Marilyn

I do hope you can find a solution to suit your budget.
Don't forget that once shipping has been added and you have placed your order, when it arrives here in the UK you will have to pay VAT and Import Tax prior to the goods being released and delivered to you.
It might also be worth getting some quotes for 'fit only' before you spend a great deal of time on this as it may be difficult to find someone who is up to the job, and who will provide labour only.

Let us know how you get on. :)
"Happiness is wanting what you have"

The happiest people are not those who have the best of everything but those who make the best of everything!
Sharon

Thanks given: 107 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby olley » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:04 am

Windscreen cover that's one of the main things to check when sorting your insurance out, it needs to be £2000 minimum.

Ian
Winnebago 30W V8 8.1 chevvy LPG conversion. Workhorse W20 Chassis.
Wyrd bid ful araed
Autogas Map of Spain http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... a4&t=h&z=6
olley

Thanks given: 29 times
Started RVing: 2004

Postby BRIAN EVANS » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi there and likewise welcome to the ARV CLUB.yes Ian is right you must check your windscreen insurnce.we have a £300.00 excess on ours.but i dread to think what a new screen would cost :shock: give Duncan at www.starspangledspanner.co.uk a ring and im sure he will point you in the right direction.
regards brian jo and jsoh
Take time to be friendly--its the road to happiness

You better start swimming or you,ll sink like a stone,cos the times they are a changing (Bob Dylan)
BRIAN EVANS

Thanks given: 40 times
Started RVing: 2006

Return to Georgie Boy