• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Georgie boy cruise master

Georgie boy cruise master

Postby bigscott » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:31 pm

hi there im after some help im in the process of buying a georgie boy cruise master 35ft long 6.5 diesel 1998 im going to be living in this motorhome full time can anybody tell me what things to look out for when buying this paticular model and does anybody know the true mpg .thanks scott
bigscott

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 2 times
Started RVing: 0

Advertisement

Re: Georgie boy cruise master

Postby Sharon » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:21 pm

Hi Scott and welcome to the forum.

I have separated this post from your welcome thread as it will gain more exposure here and hopefully some good comments/advice from our members in this section. ;)
"Happiness is wanting what you have"

The happiest people are not those who have the best of everything but those who make the best of everything!

The following people have thanked the author Sharon for this post:
bigscott
Sharon

Thanks given: 107 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby Mrtibbs » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:53 pm

bigscott wrote:hi there im after some help im in the process of buying a georgie boy cruise master 35ft long 6.5 diesel 1998 im going to be living in this motorhome full time can anybody tell me what things to look out for when buying this paticular model and does anybody know the true mpg .thanks scott

Hi Scott
There are no absolutes in the world of RV's so the best you will get is peoples best guesses and impressions...
The 6.5 V8 Chevy diesel engine is pretty bullet proof and will do starship miles if serviced reasonably regularly, it is quite noisy compared to modern diesel engines and certainly compared to a petrol front engined RV. They are not fast, but they are reliable. We have had three of these engines in different RV's and found them to be quite acceptable. The big advantage in my opinion is that you will get pretty reasonable fuel milage from the motor, we have a 33 foot GBM Landau at 7500Kgs and get around 15 MPG (I think... :lol: ) We had a previous RV with this motor and during a 1000 + mile round trip in France we clocked up just a fraction over 15MPG, so I think my figures now are fairly close...
Obvious things to check are delamination of the body, tyre condition, look for cracks around the outside side walls, if found be very aware that they will cost about £225 each to replace and if cracked they certainly need replacing. Make sure all the appliances are in good working order, check them personally to see for yourself. Check for any service history, both for the chassis and the appliances, the more the better :D
Check if it has front air bags on the suspension and if it does make sure that they are in good condition and hold air pressure.
Make certain that the interior layout is what you need especially as you will be spending a lot of time in it, hang out inside and move around the coach as if you were living in it, the seller shouldn't mind you spending ages if they are genuine because they should understand how important it is. When we sold our last RV we left the potential purchasers to wander around inside for ages before we took them a cuppa and started discussions, as they were happy that they had seen everything they wanted to see...
Are you buying privately or from a dealer? It does make a difference on the price and what you should expect for the money that you are asked to pay. If you are worried about the chassis side of things, then take a competent HGV mechanic with you if possible.
I hope this helps and good luck.

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

The following people have thanked the author Mrtibbs for this post:
bigscott
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby bigscott » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:10 pm

thanks for the quick reply keith i will deffo keep a lookout for the suggestions and yes im buying this rv private :D and once again thanks for the info .scott
bigscott

Thanks given: 2 times
Started RVing: 0

Return to Georgie Boy