• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Its like driving with candles at night!

Its like driving with candles at night!

Postby Argle » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:59 pm

Front headlights are too opaque - it's like driving with candle illumination at night! :
Where is the best on-line source for obtaining clear plastic front headlight covers to replace old unclear plastic yellow ones on a Georgie Boy Landau 2003 (3425DS)? Does one have to replace whole lamp units or can the front plastic covers just be replaced with new ones simply clipped on?

New spare keys:
Also - Where can I source spare key blanks [I have a Chevrolet Workhorse Chassis], so I can then get spare keys cut from the blanks in the UK? My ignition key has a Workhorse 'horse' logo but no letter or other code. The other keys do have codes on them

- Any help would be really appreciated - many thanks - Derek Marston.
Argle

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 9 times
Started RVing: 0

Advertisement

Re: Its like driving with candles at night!

Postby catman » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi Derek

Why have you got clip on yellow light covers??
catman

Thanks given: 6 times
Started RVing: 1998

Postby Argle » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:03 pm

The GB Landau was originally fitted with clear headlights, but over time (& if used in desert conditions), the light covers can become more opaque and a bit yellow in colour from the weathering they've faced. My front headlights have that faded yellowy look to them - but I noticed that the front covers just clip on to the headlamp unit. So this is why I asked if others have simply clipped on new plastic headlamp covers as a cheaper solution to replacing the whole unit?

If you or anyone else knows of a good source for new covers (or front lenses as some might call them in the UK), then do let me know - many thanks - Derek Marston.
Argle

Postby Trekkin » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:41 pm

Like driving with fireflies in a jar, sometimes you need A torch to see if they are still on!
One of the big issues with RV headlights is the voltage at the bulb, as they use long cable runs back and forth before getting to the bulb. If you check the voltage at the bulb you may find it low.
A relatively simple mod is to use the existing wiring to control a new relay. Use the contacts of this relay to feed a new supply to the bulb, fused and as short as possible, giving a higher voltage to the bulb
It will make a big difference.

The following people have thanked the author Trekkin for this post:
Argle
Trekkin

Thanks given: 15 times
Started RVing: 2009

Postby Argle » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:13 pm

Many thanks for the relay idea - I'm going to let the professional coach mechanic, who also works on our RV, know this. I‘ll also try more powerful bulbs called "Knighthawk" [or something close to that! :) ] - thanks for taking the time to reply - Derek Marston

The following people have thanked the author Argle for this post:
Trekkin
Argle

Return to Georgie Boy