• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Hydralift Motorcycle Carrier

Discuss electrical, mechanical, coach, tyres, MOT & Servicing, Appliances, TV & Satellite and many other topics relating to RVs.

Hydralift Motorcycle Carrier

Postby Arthur » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:28 pm

I am looking for a motorcycle lift which is made by Hydralift in the USA, the 'local' UK agent is in Emmendingen, Germany.

Both Hydralift and their agent will ship to the UK but the cost is eye watering $4000+ not including shipping and various other bits.

Does anyone know who/where to ask/look re a secondhand one, have tried Google several times but no hits in the UK.

I have also posted on other MH sites

Regards

Arthur
Arthur

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 11 times
Started RVing: 2000

Advertisement

Re: Hydralift Motorcycle Carrier

Postby Groundhog » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:39 am

Hi Arthur

There was one on e-bay last week. I don't know if it was sold but it may be worth keeping an eye on e-bay to see if it is re-listed.

If you have no success I have a non-hydraulic scooter rack for sale which is in excellent condition and very easy to load and unload. It is listed on e-bay until tomorrow, item number 180709340177, or look in the Classified section of this forum.

Good hunting.

Mike
Groundhog

Thanks given: 2 times
Started RVing: 2008

Postby Arthur » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:56 am

Mike
Thanks for the reply, but it needs to be big enought to carry a large motorbike, & the Hydralift is the one for a Harley/Goldwing.

Regards

Arthur
Arthur

Postby redsat452 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:04 am

Hi Arthur,

Bit of a long shot after all this time. We have a Piggy back lift by Dover Welding for sale fitted on the back on a Fleetwood Bounder 38N RV. We have recently sold our VN 1500 which sat on it with no issues. If you are interested, please contact us and we can send you details and photographs. It carries up to 750kg in weight and is on an electric winch and slide mechanism. We are looking for £2000.00. Our contact details are redsat452@talk21.com. You can also phone us on 07831 329431 or 07509 039563.

Many thanks.
Mark & Llinos
redsat452

Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2006

Postby Damon3272 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:44 pm

Have you not considrered either a closed in or open trailor.
One member here had a Honda Valkry in an encloesed trailor with all his motorcycle gear,compressor and all tools and equipment and it works fine for him.
I dont know what RV you have but I would have thought this amount of weight on the rear of an RV will have a detrimental effect on the steering and handling and braking of any rv.

Regards Colin
Damon3272

Thanks given: 7 times
Started RVing: 0

Postby Arthur » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:58 pm

I did purchase the Hydralift second hand but to date have not fitted it as the weight loadings do not add up, I own a 2004 Monaco Cayman 36 PDQ and would like to add the Hydralift & carry our BMW 1200LT.
Some time ago I contacted Monaco RV Tech department by telephone as I was considering obtaining the Hydralift unit to carry the Motorcycle. The Chap I spoke to told me that the coach would have no problem with this set up.
I subsequently purchased both the Hydralift and the motorcycle, the lift unit is 128kg and the BMW weighs 345kg.
I had been told that the calculation for the additional rear axle loading is centre of the rear axle to the rear receiver divided by the wheelbase (130” by 228”) this will give a % figure (57%) this figure is then taken as a % of the actual load which is then added to actual weight of the load.
128 + 345 = 473
473 x 57% = 269
This means an additional load of 742kgs will be imposed on the rear axle.
The front axle will also be lightened by 57% so a reduction in load terms of 269kgs
I took the Cayman to the weighbridge with full water fuel and gas tanks and found that my gross weight is 11280kgs my rear axle weight is 7520kgs and my front axle is 3800kgs.
The Monaco weight chart in the vehicle indicates that the gross vehicle weight is 11591kgs rear axle is 7700kgs and the front axle is 3865Kgs
This vehicle is fitted with 225/70 R 22.5 140/137M tyres at 94lbs per sq inch which carry this weight. Michelin technical have informed me that I can go to 9200kgs by increasing tyre pressures to 116lbs per sq inch. If the same size tyres were changed to an XZA format then the axle load could be increased to 11600kgs

In 2010 I fitted the new heavy duty Monaco trailing arms which I obtained from Monaco together with the Ride Enhancement Kit and new airbags.
So I contacted VOSA HGV via telephone to ask about uprating the weight cert which recieved the amusing reply “no don’t worry about it mate you can get a VIN plate on Ebay & buy the stamps to make your own – you would never be stopped anyway” I have declined the VOSA advice! :lol:

I understood that the vehicle is fitted with a 20000lb (9072kgs) axle but is down rated to 17000lbs (7711kgs) for some American state roads.
I was hoping that by having fitted the new suspension items and by increasing tyre pressures Monaco might be able to issue me with a new load sheet /tyre sheet that I can affix to the Cayman so that I can then fit the Hydralift and the Motorcycle.
Wrong - "Sorry we are Monaco RV and that vehicle was built by Monaco Coach so we cannot help"
Well after a lot of phone calls to axle manufacturers and back to Monaco RV they might be able to give me some information but the vehicle has nothing to do with them!
I am still trying to get to the bottom of it as Dana (the axle manufacturer) say the rear axle is only rated at 6 tons which would mean the veh was overweight leaving the factory.

So the quest continues

I am still trying to tease information out of Monaco RV but they are very guarded in any reply telling me that they did not build thaty coach it was built by Monaco Coach. (although it is the same plant, I understand the same employees and funded by Navistar corp who funded Monaco Coach :twisted: ).

For the time being we have purchased a 'Big Bike Trailer' whilst we pick our way through the minefield of conflicting information :-J .

Regards

Arthur

The following people have thanked the author Arthur for this post:
Mrtibbs
Arthur

Postby Damon3272 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:00 am

I would carry on with the trailor .
I personally would think it the better option,that sure is an awful lot of weight hanging on the back of an RV.

Regards Colin
Damon3272

Thanks given: 7 times
Started RVing: 0

Postby micknpat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:26 am

Damon3272 wrote:I would carry on with the trailor .
I personally would think it the better option,that sure is an awful lot of weight hanging on the back of an RV.

Colin, During our two years in the States we saw RV's with not only Harley's on the back but also golf buggies AT THE SAME TIME :shock:
MicknPat

Fleetwood Discovery 39ft diesel A class
micknpat

Thanks given: 43 times
Started RVing: 2007

Postby monoco camelot » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi Arthur
Just by chance you decide not to use the Hydralift you purchased we would be interested in buying it from you.
We were using an Easy lifter and have done for 5 years by hubby wants a bigger bike
We are selling the easy lifter if any one wants it!
Thank Gail
gail.1966@btinternet.com
monoco camelot

Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2006

Postby Arthur » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:29 pm

G
We are to fit the Hydralift in the near future and will 'overcome' the axle weight loading by using a lighter machine which will keep us within the permitted/design weights ..................... just.

Regards

Arthur
Arthur

Return to Tech / Mech