• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

windscreen wiper motor

Discuss electrical, mechanical, coach, tyres, MOT & Servicing, Appliances, TV & Satellite and many other topics relating to RVs.

windscreen wiper motor

Postby john.williams » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi.Can anyone help.I have a 2008 Damon Daybreak single Windscreen.Having problems with wiper arms parking.They both park at 0920hrs position on the screen, however when in use they carry on downwards over shooting the windscreen befor starting their wiping ark. Have tried repositioning them on the spline cones to no avail .Have even taken both arms off and let the wiper motor park then refitted the arms in their correct position off 0915hrs.All in vain as they still return to their previous positioning. Is this a motor problem and needs to be replaced or has anyone any other ideas. Regards john
john.williams

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2009

Advertisement

Re: windscreen wiper motor

Postby Groundhog » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:40 am

I suffered with the same problem on a 2009 Daybreak. The cause of all of my issues seems to be the nuts that secure the splines to the bodywork working loose. There are two nuts, one on the inside and one on the outside. After tightening them several times from the outside, only for them to work loose again, I repositioned the splines so there is an equal amount of thread either side and finished tightening from the inside. This seems to have cured the problem for the time being.
Groundhog

Thanks given: 2 times
Started RVing: 2008

Postby john.williams » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks for that Groundhog.Do refer to the pivot shafts which the wiper arms attach to when you say splines as these have large securing nut on the outside only .the only splines I can see are the splined positioing cones that are on these pivot shafts that locate into the wiper arms to drive them. however there are no loose nuts.I suspect the motor has gone faulty. Many Thanks John
john.williams

Postby Groundhog » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:45 pm

Yes, the bit the wipers attach to is the part I refer to. On mine there is a large nut on the inside as well as the outside. To get to it I have to open the front engine compartment cover and get up inside the engine compartment. There is a large nut on the wiper mechanism which is the one that kept coming loose. Maybe totally different to yours but as they are only a year apart I would have assumed they are fairly similar.
Groundhog

Thanks given: 2 times
Started RVing: 2008

Postby john.williams » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks again Groundhog .Have now resolved it.Turned out to be the mounting securing bracket, held in place by 4 screws to the plywood underside of the dash.one screw never fitted from new (well done Damon).the other three had all worked loose causing the bracket to drop.this in turn caused the dog leg bracket linking both radial arms to the wiper motor to keep snaging throwing everything out of position.Simples. But not the first thing you think of.Thanks again John
john.williams

Return to Tech / Mech