• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Parking Brake Problem

Discuss electrical, mechanical, coach, tyres, MOT & Servicing, Appliances, TV & Satellite and many other topics relating to RVs.

Parking Brake Problem

Postby georgieboysuite » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi All,

I seem to have bought a static caravan as despite my best efforts having parked it up and not to my knowledge applied the parking brake it now seems to be locked on.

I have a 2001 Georgie Boy Suite and it has a push in pull out switch to release the parking brake.

I can hear it trying to do something but I can't get it to disengage or put out the light on the dash.

Can anybody explain in simple language how it might work and how I can get myself mobile again please.

Thanks

Alan
georgieboysuite

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2012

Advertisement

Re: Parking Brake Problem

Postby tarphenry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi do you have air brakes, which will mean your parking brake is air operated. check the air pressure on the gauge it should bee 100psi to operate the brake. sometimes when they have been standing,the valve in the commpressor cylinder head sticks and does not build up the necessary pressure. it should have a warning buzzer but this could have been disconnected. the fix is easy.remove large nut on compressor cylinder head ,valve is underneath pull it out clean it apply wd40 and replace. if its electric i havent a clue. good luck Mick :D
tarphenry

Thanks given: 4 times
Started RVing: 1991

Postby olley » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:53 pm

I would guess you are on a P32 chassis, which means you have a J72 spring operated transmission brake. A small hydraulic cylinder pulls it off and holds it off, if the hydraulic pressure is insufficient maybe because of a low fluid level, it won't come off. Here's a schematic showing the layout and a picture of the pump.

Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winnebago 30W V8 8.1 chevvy LPG conversion. Workhorse W20 Chassis.
Wyrd bid ful araed
Autogas Map of Spain http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... a4&t=h&z=6

The following people have thanked the author olley for this post:
Sharon
olley

Thanks given: 29 times
Started RVing: 2004

Postby Safariman » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Just google "rotten green switch" there's loads on the net about it, if this switch fail it locks the hand brake on, it's on a tank underneath the off side most likely. Best of luck Mike
Safariman

Thanks given: 10 times
Started RVing: 2008

Postby simsy56 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:54 pm

My WInnebago has a push pull parking brake, and as Olley has said it actuates a transmission brake. This also operates when the shift is in park, called autopark. If mine is in park, and i release the brake, the buzzer continues to sound, and the light stays on, until i move the shift from P.

Craig
simsy56

Started RVing: 2010

Postby georgieboysuite » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:18 pm

All,

Thanks very much for the advice.

As I am new to this I can't believe you all know so much about the RV's.

I hope it's not because they keep going wrong!

The diagram is great but far beyond my abilities.

Does anybody know a mobile RV mechanic around the Coventry area. I have details of Steve Dunn Mobile RV Maintenance from Witney in Oxford . Would this be something he would do well.

Thanks again everyone. I will get away this season.

Alan Pearson.
georgieboysuite

Postby Sharon » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi Alan

I can wholeheartedly recommend Signature Motorhomes at Wolverhampton which isn't too far for you. Their link can be found on home page/thread pages as they sponsor this website.
"Happiness is wanting what you have"

The happiest people are not those who have the best of everything but those who make the best of everything!
Sharon

Thanks given: 107 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby Mrtibbs » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:02 am

Hi Alan
Are the brakes actually locked on or it is just a light on the dash?

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times

Postby georgieboysuite » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi all,

The parking brake is definately on but I can get a bit of movement forward and back but I don't want to force things.

The parking brake light is on all of the time and I intermittently get another one that says autopark.

Thanks,

Alan
georgieboysuite

Postby Mrtibbs » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:55 am

Hi Alan
I hope that I can offer some useful advice here, but maybe not :lol:
Firstly the "auto park" light should come on when the gear selector is in the "Park" position, it goes out a few seconds after you pull the lever into (say) "D". Does this happen?
The "parking brake" light shows that the parking brake is applied and should go out when the brake is disengaged. So do you have a big yellow square shaped button on your dash board? If so is it pulled out or is it pushed in? Try it pulling and pushing it.
Secondly do you have a pedal on the far left hand side of the steering column? If so this is the parking brake and the lever marked "release" just under the dash on the left hand side of the steering column is to release the brake and needs to be pulled backwards, have you released the handle under the dash board marked "release"?
Sorry if this seems to be teaching you to suck eggs, but I am unsure of how much you know of your RV and where the problem lies. We have to start somewhere... :D
Let us know the outcome of these checks please.
HTH

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times

Next

Return to Tech / Mech