• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

6.0 power stroke diesel

Discuss electrical, mechanical, coach, tyres, MOT & Servicing, Appliances, TV & Satellite and many other topics relating to RVs.

6.0 power stroke diesel

Postby bully42 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:58 am

Hi,sorry for posting again as my last post was entitled petrol or diesel.What i really wanted to know was how good or indeed bad is the 2006 6.0 powerstroke diesel engine.Looking on google,it would put you off buying one but most are high milage pickups,not low milage rvs.Any info would be much appreciated about reliability first and mpgs etc.Look forward to some speedy replies as a have an rv in mind.Thanks again.Alan
bully42

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2012

Advertisement

Re: 6.0 power stroke diesel

Postby tarphenry » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi if I were you I would look on the internet for a powerstoke forum in the states. there must be one and they will have al the knowledge you need,I fond them very helpful on he cummins forum.
tarphenry

Thanks given: 4 times
Started RVing: 1991

Postby Mrtibbs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:05 pm

tarphenry wrote:Hi if I were you I would look on the internet for a powerstoke forum in the states. there must be one and they will have al the knowledge you need,I fond them very helpful on he cummins forum.

Something like this? http://www.powerstroke.org/

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby bully42 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks for reply.It was the internet putting me off with head gasket failure,egr valves,coolers cracking,antifreeze problems that's why I want an opinion off somebody who runs one.Thanks again.Alan
bully42

Postby signature » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:28 am

bully42 wrote:Thanks for reply.It was the internet putting me off with head gasket failure,egr valves,coolers cracking,antifreeze problems that's why I want an opinion off somebody who runs one.Thanks again.Alan

I think it boils down to the law of averages. There is no more problems with a 6.0 compared to a Triton, 6.5TD or Cummins. Engines have there issues, and when looking at the US Forums, there is so many units out there, and being used in different applications. Back in 2006-2008, I think roughly 25/30 6.0l units were sold at the Cannock site, and I have never heard of any of the above problems. As mentioned previously, the full story is never told...was the unit working 15 hrs a day pulling construction equipment through a dusty Navada building site, or was the vehicle hardly used and engine components were not being properly cared for.

I think you are spot on Alan, you need a 6.0L TD owner to put your mind at rest, experience is better than opinion :)

Tom
'The Orginal American Motorhome People'
http://www.signaturemotorhomes.com
signature

Thanks given: 31 times
Started RVing: 1995

Postby bully42 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:12 pm

I am glad i joined this forum for the response i am getting.Thanks very much and any more advise or personal experiance with this motor will again be most appreciated.Alan
bully42

Postby Mrtibbs » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi Alan
I cannot believe that no-one has got one of these engines..... Law of averages would suggest that a happy owner comments little but an owner that has had problems broadcasts them to anyone willing to listen :lol: Based upon that assumption, I would suggest that there are few problem 6.0 Powerstroke engines fitted to RV's amongst our forum members. Probably not the best answer, but as has been said before ALL engines have their foibles and if you like the RV and the motor is the only question, then I would be tempted to get the RV and be sure to get a warranty on the mechanicals to protect you...
The worst thing about RV mechanicals is that they potentially are not serviced correctly, so if the seller can produce evidence of a good service history then again, you should be OK with it. If there is no service history then I would simply walk away if you are unsure, as trouble can be mighty expensive.
We have the Chevrolet 6.5TD engine in our Landau and people say the worst things about that engine, we have had three of them now and a Cummins engine. I would say that the Chevy is a good engine and apart from a recent problem (well known about and fully documented :roll: ) we have had no real problems, and this problem is being sorted now with a part that I got from the USA for about £200, so not devastating is it?
HTH

Keith
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Postby bully42 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:38 am

Thanks for taking the time to write that reply.I think you are right in everything you say.I would have thought some powerstroke owners would have replied..........anybody...........Thanks again
bully42

Postby Damon3272 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:46 am

Hi Keith/Allan there is a member in this club who posts on here but I think is currently in Spain ( Paul H) who had a Concord with a diesel engine who had serious engine issue's with it.
He bought it new from a UK dealer.
We saw him at Brighton Marina Carvan Club Site and he was telling us he was in this RV in Germany then went to Luxemborg parked it up and could not start it on his return, and mechanics out there could not get it running.
He had it relayed back to the supplying dealer in England who had the engine completely dismantled for three or four months (maybe longer,they let him have another RV in the meantime) I am sure they could not fix it and am sure he either got a refund or swapped his RV.
PM him and I am sure he can give you the full facts.

Regards Colin
Damon3272

Thanks given: 7 times
Started RVing: 0

Postby Mrtibbs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:52 am

Hi Colin
Was that the story that ended up with the RV had had the incorrect dashboard fitted at the factory? I heard of a story where they had fitted a petrol dash into a diesel coach, not sure if it is the one you refer to though, and it worked OK in the summer but as soon as the weather got cold it failed. The garage tried all sorts but in the end it got fixed "by accident" when someone noticed the difference...
Maybe Paul can help...

Keith
Mrtibbs

Next

Return to Tech / Mech