• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

6.0 power stroke diesel

Discuss electrical, mechanical, coach, tyres, MOT & Servicing, Appliances, TV & Satellite and many other topics relating to RVs.

Re: 6.0 power stroke diesel

Postby Damon3272 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:05 am

Hi Keith sorry I never really heard of the outcome with the RV, Paul H will obviously know.
I just know that when it was in England the RV dealer had the engine completely dismantled,pistons out etc and they simply could not find the problem although I think they were suggesting lack of compression, and Paul never got the RV back so don't if even he will know what the problem was.
You may be right about a petrol dashboard being fitted instead of a diesel but I don't really know how that would effect things as long as the pre heaters work it should not effect anything regarding the engine and even if they were not working you would get it to start by easy start .
Hopefully Paul H will read this thread and can tell the full story.

Regards Colin
Damon3272

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 7 times
Started RVing: 0

Advertisement

Postby bully42 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:43 pm

A very interesting thread.Let's hope it jogs somebodies memories and we get the low down on that story.Again,I welcome any coments,good or bad and thanks once again for the recent posts.Alan
bully42

Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2012

Postby dwight » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Trouble free Ford Petrol V10 is a far better option than the 6.0 D and on LPG a more economical option.
dwight

Started RVing: 1986

Postby Vilasalvas » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi there
I have 2 Ford 6.0 powerstroke engines, one in a Forest River Lexington 27ft in the UK, and one in a F350 truck witch pulls a 36ft fifth wheel in the US. The one in the US has covered 50k from new and only ever had oil changes and one fuel filter! I sent it into a Ford dealer last time I was over there and he said that there was nothing to do until 90k or so. The truck and the fifth wheel weight about 8 tons and returns 11 mpg (US gallon). The Lexington returns about 15 - 16mpg. Although these two engines are mechanically the same there is a huge difference in the power outputs. The truck is good for 330hp in standard form, but the Lexington comes out of the factory detuned down to 200 or so. This done through engine mapping. The de-tune is because of heat dissipation problems when this engine is fitted in the tight confines of the E450 RV chassis. I am toying with a chip upgrade to "up" the power a little bit but I do so few miles I cannot really justify the cost.

The following people have thanked the author Vilasalvas for this post:
Mrtibbs
Vilasalvas

Started RVing: 1985

Postby Mrtibbs » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:19 pm

dwight wrote:Trouble free Ford Petrol V10 is a far better option than the 6.0 D and on LPG a more economical option.

Hi Dwight
Can I ask if you have had both these engine types to make the comparison?

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby bully42 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:36 pm

dwight wrote:Trouble free Ford Petrol V10 is a far better option than the 6.0 D and on LPG a more economical option.

Hi,out of interest,are you the same dwight who has a lpg coachman on ebay?Looks nice for 23k..........
bully42

Postby Damon3272 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:00 am

Paul H is back from Spain so he may have some direct advice regarding this thread.

Regards Colin
Damon3272

Thanks given: 7 times
Started RVing: 0

Postby paulH » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:30 am

Hi guys

Well we broke down at a filling station in Luxenberg the engine wrd not start after l filled her up, we were stuck at a pump with every body queing up for cheap diesel for about two hours l checked the normal things Yes l had filled her with Diesel the coach was only 10 months old less than 2000 miles on the clock we got recovered to a breakdownyard all the computers and clips were reset, we got some friends to pick us up and left the Rv there, it came back to the UK dealer who was in touch with Ford US to sort the problem this took about six months mainly cause as it was under warrenty they had to do what Ford said and the time difference meaning 2pm here 9am there one task a day got done in the end they took one head off one of the O ring oil seals was chewed up stopping compresson in that cylinder and telling the computer no comp no start, remember the old days running on a few cyl,s.

I got the Rv back lossed faith in it and swopped it for a Concorde 6 td and did Spain a few times in her, the 6td Ford is a good engine returns about 15 mpg and is easy to drive and I wrd recommed it to anybody I just got a bad one but if you buy one with about 6000 plus miles on the clock you will be ok, I like my 30ft Brave 6.5td very homely and returns about 15 + mpg,

Paul
paulH

Thanks given: 3 times
Started RVing: 1987

Postby bully42 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks for finishing the story to the previous threads.I still have a 2006 powerstroke in mind for 25k concord coachman and a 2007 triton with lpg and a 2008with lpg for 28k and 30k.Whick would you go for and indeed anybody reading this.The 2007 is a c class trail lite and the 2008 is a new fronted. C class sun seeker both with 9k miles on......mmm Thanks.Alan
bully42

Postby paulH » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:14 pm

I had a twin slide concorde it was easy to live with good bit of kit but l like the extra space of a A class, diesel every time for me we do a lot of miles abroad and you can get diesel anywhere, l was in France a few years ago with a 34ft petrol and had a few problems with petrol pumps being away from the diesel pump and having to fill up then reverse out of the pumps on the motorways they put the petrol pumps in front of the service shop, and theres allways a HGV diesel pump on the side, gas can be hard to find and sold out when you do find a pump, one important thing when you buy a Rv make sure it,s double glazed or you cook in the summer and its cold now

Paul :D
paulH

Thanks given: 3 times
Started RVing: 1987

PreviousNext

Return to Tech / Mech