• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Painting original wood units

Discuss electrical, mechanical, coach, tyres, MOT & Servicing, Appliances, TV & Satellite and many other topics relating to RVs.

Painting original wood units

Postby Damien2000 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Im not sure if this is in the correct section, but here goes...

My wife thinks the wood inside our rv is dated (it is dark) and wants to paint them. Im against the idea, as they are in good condition and I hate the thought of ruining them, but she wants to brighten it up.

Am I wrong by not wanting to paint them?!

If anyone has pictures or any Information/advice on this, it would be great if you could pass it on and help me out!

Thank you
Damien2000

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 4 times
Started RVing: 2010

Advertisement

Re: Painting original wood units

Postby winnebago32 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:08 pm

See an example made by Georgie Boy(GBM) called The Suite
winnebago32

Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 1999

Postby Mrtibbs » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:05 am

Hi Damien
I have a foot in either camp here :D I love natural wood finishes but also dislike the really dark finish that Americans seem to like. You can paint any wood and the cabinets in your RV will probably be finished with a varnish to protect them. Maybe you should try Googling "Shabby Chic" and looking at some of the images showing furniture that has been painted and then artificially aged, some of it is very nice indeed. The kitchen units in our house were that style when we bought it 12 years ago and it has stood the test of time, still looks great :D
Personally if I were you, I would look out for an old cabinet to do up, buy it and have a go to see what you think it looks like and also to see if you are able to achieve the right look that you want.
My wife and I have done several pieces of furniture this way and are quite good at it (even if I say so myself) now that we have experience. It does take time and patience along with the right tools and materials but it can give a really nice, pleasing and homely appearance. If you are not enamored with that look you could also try "Liming" the door fronts to achieve a lighter and different look.
Also I agree with winnebago32 above, look at some interior shots of a GBM The Suite, they are really nice if you like that sort of thing, again it is all about taste, which is very personal, and won't appeal to everyone.
HTH

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby Damien2000 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:03 am

Fantastic help thank you both :D

I will have a good look later on, but what I've seen quickly does look very nice indeed. I will let you know what I decide to do. Great help. Thanks again :D
Damien2000

Postby Mrtibbs » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:53 am

Whereabouts in the country are you based Damien?

Keith
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Postby Damien2000 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Im down in South Wales, near Carmarthen. In the sticks! There are loads of nice campsites fairly close to us which are nice and quiet retreats, the only downside is that roads around here can be tight, especially if you have a 30ft+ rv. Where are you from?

Oh and by the way I really like how bright the interior of the georgie boy "the suite" looks, so I might well get my rollers and brushes out!
Damien2000

Postby old mo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:03 am

Unless it is prepared and painted in a very proffesional manner...

I would stick to what you have, and perhaps update the curtains/pelmets etc to a lighter colour..

A lot of people dont like painted interiors and it could have an adverse effect when you come to sell or exchange...

I personally wouldn`t buy one that had been hand painted,,,, they always look that.. "hand Painted"... I have looked at over the years a few that had been done, and nicely done too... but It put me off..

But that is just my opinion... ;)
old mo

Thanks given: 26 times
Started RVing: 2004

Postby Damien2000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:40 am

Hi Mo,

I know exactly where you're coming from!! That is how I feel about it 100% , except she's nagging me and im just after an easy life!!

Resale isn't my main concern as it's old and I dont plan on selling any time soon, but like you said, I hate hand painted units if not done professionally, as it looks like a home made job. :mrgreen:

I have my own bodyshop painting cars etc, so if I do paint them, I will do my best!

The following people have thanked the author Damien2000 for this post:
old mo
Damien2000

Postby Mrtibbs » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 am

I realise that some people don't like "hand painted" units, however I wonder just how many people also don't like the old style dark brown wood units? I would bet they are similar numbers, we certainly do not like the dark cabinets and would certainly not buy an RV if it had them, unless we got it for a price that allowed us to "hand paint" the units :D . If your coach is fairly old, then I doubt seriously that you will do anything detrimental to its value, except to increase it, because the potential future audience for it when you do come to sell it will be a younger group who do appear to like the "hand painted" look. Just look at the revival of the "shabby chic" furniture that I pointed to earlier.
You could always remove the door and drawer fronts and spray them in your body shop or hand prepare and paint them and give them a shabby chic touch, which can be very charming, warm and inviting as well as being in keeping with an older coach.
Obviously it is finally up to you :D but I know what I would do in your situation.
We live in Kettering, by the way...
Good luck what ever you decide to do.

Keith

The following people have thanked the author Mrtibbs for this post:
Damien2000
Mrtibbs

Postby Damien2000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:27 am

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply, I appreciate the help, I will post some photo's when im ready to do it.

I did get the van for a very good price, but it needs a little work, but nothing major and mechanically it is perfect.

Thank you
Damien2000

Next

Return to Tech / Mech