• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Painting original wood units

Discuss electrical, mechanical, coach, tyres, MOT & Servicing, Appliances, TV & Satellite and many other topics relating to RVs.

Re: Painting original wood units

Postby olley » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:50 am

Bit out of date now, but when I sold kitchens the biggest seller in wood was light oak, in laminate, beige and white, of the few painted we ever did not one was the "shabby chic" :). And It was certainly available from French manufacturers like "Arthur Bonnet" and others. What about stripping them down and re-staining in light oak? One of our suppliers had a machine called a fladder, which I think you could put a door in and it would come out stripped back to raw wood. Need to be careful though if its got veneered centre panels as you might sand through the veneer.
If you are keeping it then you only have to please yourself, but as Mo said, if at some point you want to sell, conservative is the way to go. :D

Ian
Winnebago 30W V8 8.1 chevvy LPG conversion. Workhorse W20 Chassis.
Wyrd bid ful araed
Autogas Map of Spain http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... a4&t=h&z=6

The following people have thanked the author olley for this post:
Damien2000
olley

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 29 times
Started RVing: 2004

Advertisement

Postby Mrtibbs » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:59 am

olley wrote:Bit out of date now, Ian

I guess so Ian, Shabby Chic is very much the "in" style matey :D Sharon can't get it done fast enough to meet demand :D I have her working all hours to keep up :lol:
Valid point about being Conservative though :lol:

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby olley » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:34 am

Story of my life keith, :lol: I remember fitting a kitchen in a barn conversion, we didn't supply the doors they came from Orwell pine and consisted of three planks of old floor board, with a diagonal cross brace nailed to the back, no paint or stain just briwax, they looked crap, but the client paid more for them, than he paid us for the rest. :cry:

Needless to say Orwell Pine are still going great guns, whereas I gave up 12-13 years ago.

Ian
Winnebago 30W V8 8.1 chevvy LPG conversion. Workhorse W20 Chassis.
Wyrd bid ful araed
Autogas Map of Spain http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... a4&t=h&z=6
olley

Thanks given: 29 times
Started RVing: 2004

Previous

Return to Tech / Mech