• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

I need to a good rv mechanic in France- any suggestions?

Discuss electrical, mechanical, coach, tyres, MOT & Servicing, Appliances, TV & Satellite and many other topics relating to RVs.

I need to a good rv mechanic in France- any suggestions?

Postby david stirling » Sat May 04, 2013 5:42 pm

I am currently in Amiens, northern France, on the way south but have a problem with my slide out which means I currently not move as I cannot retract it. The problem is an electrical fault to the hydraulic motor which French mechanics run away from as it is an RV ( Windsor Monaco). I am going to have to call out my breakdown cover but as I assume this will be a temporary fix I am looking for somewhere to go to get a permanent fix. Has anyone got any suggestions from past experience? Many thanks.
Our 2013 tour to Western Europe and Morocco can be found at www.stirlingtravels.co.uk with details of routes used, tolls paid and American RV friendly campsites. We are currently planning the 2014 tour to Eastern Europe and Turkey.
david stirling

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 0

Advertisement

Re: I need to a good rv mechanic in France- any suggestions?

Postby winnebago32 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:55 pm

What is the make of the hydraulic slide out /jacks on your RV ? If they are HWH, then the hydraulic pressure that holds the rams out (and in ) can be released at the valve blocks so the slide out can be manually pushed back in . Don't forget to close the valves afterwards otherwise the slide out will be free to slide out again !
winnebago32

Started RVing: 1999

Postby phil1946 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi,

I do not have slide(s) so cannot help personally but you could try contacting travelworld.co.uk who are Monaco dealers or Duncan at www.starspangledspanner.com who is always very helpful.

I do not think your recovery service will be keen and, unless there is an RV dealer near to you, they might not be able to help without destroying your holiday - a local sparky might have more of an idea as you say the problem is most likely an electrical fault. You might even be able to get the slide in by 'jump starting' the motor that works the pump. Alternatively it might be possible to mechanically disconnect the ram and manually retract the slide - you would have to find a secure way of keeping it in while traveling!

Good luck and please let us know the outcome.
If it does not do any good don't do it!

Alzheimer's and amnesia - have I forgotten this before?
phil1946

Started RVing: 2011

Postby Groundhog » Sun May 05, 2013 5:18 am

Stingray RV claim to have facilities in France. It is at least worth a call. If they can't help they may know a man that can.

http://www.stingrayrv.fr/
Email: eric@stingrayrv.fr

Alternatively:

As you are in Northern France call Signature Motorhomes to see if they would send someone out if necessary.

http://www.signaturemotorhomes.com/
01902 725394

Good luck
Groundhog

Thanks given: 2 times
Started RVing: 2008

Postby SuperMike » Sun May 05, 2013 9:11 am

Can you not wind them in by hand ? Bit of a faff and it takes a little while but it gets over the immediate problem. :arrow:
Regards
SuperMike & Management
together with Lady Faith Finesse & Countess Pebbles Finnese
SuperMike

Thanks given: 10 times
Started RVing: 2010

Postby Mrtibbs » Sun May 05, 2013 10:35 am

Hi David.
Sorry to hear about this problem. On our Landau there is a small hole in the bottom left hand side of the slide out and a winding handle kept in one of the belly lockers. This handle can be used to manually wind in the slide out. Does your Monaco have anything similar?
I would agree with trying to contact a local auto electrician to get the fault cleared, failing that call Ross at Signature as above, they are extremely helpful and I am sure they will sort you out.
Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby sloany » Sun May 05, 2013 7:38 pm

If they are HWH you can download the manual from their website http://www.hwhcorp.com/ or if they are Schwintek here http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option=co ... img%20src= Your slides will have a way of bringing them in manually, also look on you tube there may be some video tutorials that might help.

Good luck
Dave
sloany

Thanks given: 1 times
Started RVing: 2008

Postby Merv-IOM » Mon May 06, 2013 8:19 am

Sorry to hear about your plight.

If your system is HWH, try checking the fuses located on the controller box (usually under the dash somewhere) - there may be a similar controller for other systems too.

I have a drawing of my controller which I'll pm you (I don't know how to add an image here)

Good luck

Merv
Life is a Journey
Merv-IOM

Thanks given: 19 times
Started RVing: 2011

Postby david stirling » Sat May 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks to all for your advice. We are back on the road after a 7 day stop in Amiens, should have been 3 but sorting out the slide took 4 days. In the end I had a permanent temporary repair carried out which should last us till we get back to the UK. The electric switch to start the hydraulic motor is kaput and our French mechanic connected a new temporary cable to the hydraulic motor and we now connect this fuse manually while pushing the slide out and hey presto it works. Most French mechanics run a mile from an American RV however I can recommend in the Le Treport area AULT AUTO SERVICES telephone in France 0322605136. The owners name is Monsieur Christophe Chagny, who does not speak a word of English but will get stuck in.

If you want to follow our tour please go to http://www.stirlingtravels.co.uk where we are giving out our reviews of our trip in an American RV.
Our 2013 tour to Western Europe and Morocco can be found at www.stirlingtravels.co.uk with details of routes used, tolls paid and American RV friendly campsites. We are currently planning the 2014 tour to Eastern Europe and Turkey.
david stirling

Started RVing: 0

Return to Tech / Mech