• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

battery codes

Discuss electrical, mechanical, coach, tyres, MOT & Servicing, Appliances, TV & Satellite and many other topics relating to RVs.

battery codes

Postby john.williams » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:01 am

Hi. About to purchase 2x 6v us2200xc batteries (new) doe's anyone know how to interpret the numbers and letters of the date code stamped near the terminal to get date made and when first filled. Thanks Bengie
john.williams

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2009

Advertisement

Re: battery codes

Postby Mrtibbs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi John
I Googled "Battery date codes" and found this http://www.allpar.com/fix/batteries.html
HTH

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby john.williams » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks Mr Tibbs. The code I have is 2A126DI. I'm guessing A (January).12 (2012).first number 2 and last three 6DI have not got a clue. Anyone out there got any ideas. Regards Bengie
john.williams

Postby john.williams » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:00 am

Hope this is helpful. Battery code on us2200xc 2A126DI 2 (2012) A (January) 126DI (relates to factory and country where made) .As you can see this battery is already 18 months old so won t be buying them.Bengie
john.williams

Postby ia2391 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:11 pm

Hello John

Sort of not strictly true! Are the batteries filled? Batteries, a bit like tyres on the shelf, can sit in warehouses for ages without being filled with fluid. I don't know how long they should or should not be allowed to sit unused for but I am aware that once filled, and assuming they are in perfect condition, they should be able to sit on the 'bench' for six months (without any drain on them, of course) and should still be in near enough perfect condition. Batteries start to deteriorate once they are in use.

The most important thing with keeping batteries in good condition is to keep them fully charged at all times, ok, I know that is impossible but if you keep letting your batteries go down to (say) 12 volts or so, and you don't fully recharge within a short period, the dreaded sulphation will start to get a hold. Once sulphation is there, it is difficult to remove so while you think you have fully recharged your batteries, from new they will start the degrading process. Yes, this might take years to fully unfold but I guess there are some of you who have had batteries only last a short period and others whose have last a handful of years. It is all about quality of battery, type of battery, but more important their care.

On my current RV, the batteries lasted about four years. They would have lasted longer had I checked the fluid levels in each cell but I could not remove the service covers and decided the batteries must be maintenance free. What a dope I felt? Actually, they were removable but with quite a battle to do so. My new batteries are all maintenance free so I remain 'fingers crossed' on that score.

Incidentally, I replaced my charger/converter at about the same time as the batteries. The original fit was charging at about 13.8 volts (fixed) which is generally ok provided you do check the acid levels in the batteries because at 13.8 volts the fluid levels will fall, slowly. Sadly, as I explained above, I had not done so. Eventually when the battle of removing the cell covers was over (seriously, they were really hard to remove), I found virtually dry batteries. I only 'forced the issue' with the cell covers because the lights were dim (no hook up) and the batteries health seemed ok with the volt meter. Not so. I got the new charger/converter direct from the US (took less than a week to arrive) and it charges in 3 stages if required. So far so good.

I do not buy fancy batteries for the RV, I do buy quality well known name batteries. I suspect batteries are not made to last like in the past, but equally, they get a fair hammering whether starting thumping great motors, or keeping your lights and TV working etc. Keep them well charged (over 12.4 I am told) and they will last a long time before they expire. Once they won't hold a charge for long, it is time for change. And by the way, I sold my old batteries to a scrap merchant and got almost £40 for them!!

Regarding tyres, that's a different story. I have a go on that some other time.

Be good.

Richard
ia2391

Started RVing: 1998

Postby john.williams » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:40 pm

thanks for that now need to know how to decipher the code on the terminal YRJ that gives the date when filled and first charged. Bengie
john.williams

Return to Tech / Mech