• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Help Again

Discuss electrical, mechanical, coach, tyres, MOT & Servicing, Appliances, TV & Satellite and many other topics relating to RVs.

Help Again

Postby stevie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:47 pm

I went today to start the rv there was no kick the batteries where reading 10 / 6 / 6 / 6 everything was turned of at the mains how would they lose power when I had the batteries turned of . I put leads to it and got the red lights showing and still no kick would it be possible the starter is sticking
I will try any feed back with in reason
stevie

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 19 times
Started RVing: 2012

Advertisement

Re: Help Again

Postby phil1946 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi Stevie,

not sure that I can be much help but you seem to have had over 30 views and no reply so here goes.

I assume 10/6/6/6 refers to 10 volts in your chassis battery and 6 volts in each of 3 house batteries. If I am right then your chassis battery (at 10 volts) is really flat. I believe that, although we call them 12 volt, they should be around 13.6 if charged and anything below 12 is technically flat ( see http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.ph ... 2v-battery) for more info.

With a battery as flat as yours seems to be I think it will 'mop up' what you get through leads and still not get enough to turn the starter so I very much doubt that you have a problem with the starter.

I suggest that you check all cable connections and fully charge the battery for some time and then try to find out what is draining it. You might manage to get it started if you can 'borrow' one of those really big box things the AA & RAC boys use. If you can get the genni started that might be a way of getting some charge into the chassis battery but this depends on your particular wiring as it might only charge the house batteries.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
If it does not do any good don't do it!

Alzheimer's and amnesia - have I forgotten this before?
phil1946

Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2011

Postby stevie » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi Phil
Thanks for the reply I spent all day working at the rv and I put the charger on last night and went this morning and still nothing the batteries where fully charged. It was clicking but no kick then I got a piece of wire and took it straight to the starter and another one from the solenoid and I got it started . Phil the problem was the man who was paid for sorting out the immobiliser didn't do his job, after this I got a push button switch and its starting on the button. And then I fixed the air con and hopefully, be back on the road next week . But I still don't know why the battery went flat. I did get LPG put in it and I did notice that its hooked up to the auxiliary battery which I think is the wrong one am thinking it should be the mains battery anyway once again thanks Phil
Steve
stevie

Thanks given: 19 times
Started RVing: 2012

Postby phil1946 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Glad you got it going. I don't understand comments about lpg but assume (again - dangerous habit!) that you have a petrol engine converted to lpg - mine is diesel. If you have an alarm that will draw power all the time, if not you could always buy a battery terminal isolator so that the batteries are disconnected when the RV is being stored.

These are normal problems with our hobby - good thing we are not into boats as I can't swim or even row very well and I have had to be recovered twice in three years when the brakes failed and the transmission fell out. Rving is a grand life but does need deep pockets.

By the way my avatar shows the TREK at Sleepy Hollow, near Kingcasslagh in Donegal home of Enya and Daniel O'Donnel.
If it does not do any good don't do it!

Alzheimer's and amnesia - have I forgotten this before?
phil1946

Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2011

Return to Tech / Mech