• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Ball Joint Dust Covers

Discuss electrical, mechanical, coach, tyres, MOT & Servicing, Appliances, TV & Satellite and many other topics relating to RVs.

Ball Joint Dust Covers

Postby AlanT » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:57 am

After researching a few USA RV forums it seems a lot of RV's from 1996 to 2006 have been fitted with inferior dust covers on the ball joints and they split from a very early age.
From the start of 2012 split dust covers on ball joints is a fail on a class 4 mot but has not yet been implemented for HGV's.
Mine were split but the joints were good so I sourced some dust covers and just replaced them.
There are a couple of companies in the USA that make a range of universal polyurethane dust covers prothane.com and energysuspension.com.
My chassis is a Spartan Mountain Master with a Granning IFS1200 front axle and I found the energy suspension 13013 fit the top joints perfect.
The bottom joints were a challenge because they are so big they measured 90mm across so I found the dimensions of some CV joint covers and found the SAAB 95/96 (1966-1976) inner CV boot was a good fit for mine.

Alan
Don't you just hate signatures.

The following people have thanked the author AlanT - 2:
doug, tarphenry
AlanT

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 3 times
Started RVing: 0

Advertisement

Return to Tech / Mech