• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Rusty Jack

Discuss electrical, mechanical, coach, tyres, MOT & Servicing, Appliances, TV & Satellite and many other topics relating to RVs.

Rusty Jack

Postby doug » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:04 pm

For the past couple of seasons one of levelling jacks on our RV would retract fully. Crawling underneath it was pretty obvious what the problem was, the bottom of the ram had rusted up. By extending the ram I was able to clean it up but it was soon rusting up again.

I investigated shipping a replacement over but the shipping alone was going to be prohibitive. Instead I had it removed and took it along to a local hydraulic repairers. They dismantled it and found it was in a pretty poor state. The cylinder was scored, the seals breaking up and the ram badly pitted.

The solution was to have the cylinder honed, new seals and a new ram manufactured all for less the cost of shipping a replacement from America!

Result!
Regards Doug

I keep pressing escape but I'm still here

The American RV Club - The friendly club
doug

Invitations sent: 479
Registered friends: 91
Thanks given: 145 times
Started RVing: 2001

Advertisement

Return to Tech / Mech