• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Questions about shipping my Winnebago to Europe/UK

Discuss electrical, mechanical, coach, tyres, MOT & Servicing, Appliances, TV & Satellite and many other topics relating to RVs.

Questions about shipping my Winnebago to Europe/UK

Postby mcewena » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:31 pm

Hi folks,

I'm a Canadian thinking of shipping my '07 Winnebago View (Mercedes sprinter based) over to the UK/Europe in a couple of years. I think I've got most of the details suss'd out but I thought your group would be a good resource for me. Here goes:

1. LP I understand the connectors are different from over here. Are they the same in both UK/Europe? Any sources for buying them?
2. Black water. Any rental camping I've done in Europe (Germany) has had removable cassettes for toilet waste, that's not the system used over here. I don't recall seeing drive up dump sites at campgrounds but at the time I wasn't looking for them. Any issue?
3. Electric. I'll probably leave the electrical system at 110v and rely on solar & inverter for most of my needs. I'm not sure whether to augment that with a step down converter or a battery charger for use when plugged into shore power. I've heard step downs cause issues at camp sites because of their relatively high amp draw. 2000w would likely be enough for our usage.
4. Generator. I understand they're frowned upon and my propane one is noisy anyway. Should I remove it before I come over and just add more battery space?
5. Insurance. My local provider won't cover me overseas and I understand there aren't many companies that do, and they're expensive. I assume your insurers only handle vehicles that are licensed in the UK. Any insights?

Cheers,

Art
Kingston Canada
mcewena

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 3 times
Started RVing: 0

Advertisement

Re: Questions about shipping my Winnebago to Europe/UK

Postby margaretm » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi Art,
Good to see that you have been successful with posting a new topic and I am sure that you will recieve
a number of replies.
Regards
Margaret :) :)

The following people have thanked the author margaretm for this post:
mcewena
margaretm

Thanks given: 31 times
Started RVing: 2000

Postby micknpat » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:13 pm

Art, Welcome to the forum, one quite important piece of information that you have missed is what length is your Winnebago View, this detail could be paramount on whether a site could accommodate your RV.

Mick
MicknPat

Fleetwood Discovery 39ft diesel A class
micknpat

Thanks given: 43 times
Started RVing: 2007

Postby mcewena » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi Sorry Mick, I should have said, it's only 23.5ft by 7.6' by 10.6'. It's a class C based on the Mercedes cargo van chassis, I bought it specifically based on it's size. Image http://www.lichtsinn.com/IRV/Files/223273_1.pdf
mcewena

Postby Trekkin » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:20 pm

mcewena wrote:Hi folks,

I'm a Canadian thinking of shipping my '07 Winnebago View (Mercedes sprinter based) over to the UK/Europe in a couple of years. I think I've got most of the details suss'd out but I thought your group would be a good resource for me. Here goes:

1. LP I understand the connectors are different from over here. Are they the same in both UK/Europe? Any sources for buying them?
2. Black water. Any rental camping I've done in Europe (Germany) has had removable cassettes for toilet waste, that's not the system used over here. I don't recall seeing drive up dump sites at campgrounds but at the time I wasn't looking for them. Any issue?
3. Electric. I'll probably leave the electrical system at 110v and rely on solar & inverter for most of my needs. I'm not sure whether to augment that with a step down converter or a battery charger for use when plugged into shore power. I've heard step downs cause issues at camp sites because of their relatively high amp draw. 2000w would likely be enough for our usage.
4. Generator. I understand they're frowned upon and my propane one is noisy anyway. Should I remove it before I come over and just add more battery space?
5. Insurance. My local provider won't cover me overseas and I understand there aren't many companies that do, and they're expensive. I assume your insurers only handle vehicles that are licensed in the UK. Any insights?

Cheers,

Art
Kingston Canada

Hi and welcome, will try and answer your questions

You are correct the LP connections are different to USA however screw on adapters for UK and Europe are easily and readily available from the UK RV spares suppliers, you will require two, LP is becoming more readily available now and is sold at fuel stations so no real problems there.
Black and grey waste, a lot of UK campsites are able to accommodate the RV waste discharge system, some have direct drive over waste dumps whereas others require either a long hose and the help of gravity or a macerator pump. We have found many sites where the wardens are happy to lift a manhole cover to gain access, again no real problems
Electric. If you bring all your own appliances, kettle, toaster, coffee maker hairdryer etc, there is no reason why you should not have a easy conversion to change the shore power line from 240V to 110V. This will be a simple step down transformer. Although the inrush may trip the site box, most are accessible to reset so will usually get you going, or consider one with a "soft start" function to limit the inrush if you are worried. Do not forget you will need maybe a 4kW step down transformer to get your microwave away while other loads are present, as the UK standard for electricity is 16A, around 4kW, (although some can be as low as 6A) remember we have twice the voltage so only need half the current, so not much point fitting a larger one. You will still need a UK style plug on the cable and an adapter for Europe and will need a conversion to use your microwave
Generators are usually frowned upon when electricity is present, so on campsites, however on shows and rallies and some sites where electricity is not available they are acceptable if you consider your neighbour and run then when necessary, not all the time.
Insurance , sorry cannot help with that one, but someone else might
Welcome again

The following people have thanked the author Trekkin for this post:
mcewena
Trekkin

Thanks given: 15 times
Started RVing: 2009

Postby mcewena » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:51 pm

Trekkin wrote:You are correct the LP connections are different to USA however screw on adapters for UK and Europe are easily and readily available from the UK RV spares suppliers, you will require two,

Excellent thanks! Can you suggest any suppliers that have an online store as it's something I'll need day 1 since the LP tank must be purged for shipment.
mcewena

Postby catman » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:42 am

Hi Art

For gas adaptor try http://www.mobilerv.co.uk

Insurance try http://www.adrianflux.co.uk

Hope this help's

Roy :) :)