• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Holiday rambler mot query.

Helpful advice regarding the MOT of your RV and the servicing of it. These vehicles do need regular servicing and sometimes we need to know where to take it to. All advice and recommendations gratefully recieved.

Holiday rambler mot query.

Postby Holiday rambler » Tue May 21, 2013 10:51 pm

The front sidelamps on my holiday rambler rv appear to be orange.as the mot is due shortly is this going ro be aproblem.It had a years mot on it when I brought it.I am not sure if I need to change them or leave them as they are.many thanks.
Holiday rambler

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 1 times
Started RVing: 2013

Advertisement

Re: Holiday rambler mot query.

Postby Damien2000 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:54 am

I googled yellow front side lights for uk mot and found this, not sure if it's changed now... this information was posted in 2006

The relevant document is the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 Schedule 7, Section 7 (on which the MOT regulations are based in this case).

Indicator lights PRIOR to 1965 must be:

Front: White or Amber
Rear: Red or Amber If seen from both
Front and Rear: Amber

Vehicles post 1965, indicators must be Amber.

Additionally, Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) regulations would not permit other than Amber indicators on post '65 vehicles.

Note: Vehicles imported for up to a year and not registered in the UK (by US servicemen for example) are not covered by these regulations.The fact that other arrangements are permitted in other EU states doesn't alter these regulations.

Hope this helps! Ask your mot tester, he should know. If anyone has more information on this please share! :D
Damien2000

Thanks given: 4 times
Started RVing: 2010

Postby Damien2000 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:05 am

Just realised what I posted above was about indicators! I had another look on google and found this...

European law says you can have red indicators as long as the vehicle is not manufactured in Europe, and European law overrides ANY UK law, just like in the UK any law passed in our parliament overrides any Common law.

I know it's still about indicators, but is it the same with orange front side lights?

Hmm.. :|
Damien2000

Thanks given: 4 times
Started RVing: 2010

Postby Mrtibbs » Fri May 24, 2013 7:36 am

Holiday rambler wrote:The front sidelamps on my holiday rambler rv appear to be orange.as the mot is due shortly is this going ro be aproblem.It had a years mot on it when I brought it.I am not sure if I need to change them or leave them as they are.many thanks.

Call Steve at Signature http://www.signaturemotorhomes.com/ as I am certain that he will be able to advise you and carry out any work required to make your coach compliant. I would have thought that these lights would have been checked / corrected when the RV was imported, but best to call and check now if I were you.
Good luck

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

The following people have thanked the author Mrtibbs for this post:
Damien2000
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby Holiday rambler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:33 pm

Have converted the amber front sidelights to normal plain lamps.no problem with the mot.passed with no advisories.sorted now for another year.American rv you cant fault it.
Holiday rambler

Thanks given: 1 times
Started RVing: 2013

Return to MOT and Servicing