• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Wildcamping in Spain and Portugal

A forum to discuss all aspects of camping in the wild, ie not on a recognised campsite.

Wildcamping in Spain and Portugal

Postby Sharon » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:51 pm

I was just reading an old article that states that wildcamping in Spain and Portugal is strictly prohibited.
Does anyone wildcamp in either of these countries? If so, are you chancing it, or have the laws changed?
"Happiness is wanting what you have"

The happiest people are not those who have the best of everything but those who make the best of everything!
Sharon

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 107 times
Started RVing: 2003

Advertisement

Re: Wildcamping in Spain and Portugal

Postby middlehurst » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:16 am

Hi do we now of any cheap sites over winter in spain or portugal thanks terry
middlehurst

Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2005

Postby PeteH » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi

Can`t speak of Portugal ( I have an A Frame, toad) But most campsites in Spain Reduce the fees substantially for long stays (over One month and more)

Pete
PeteH

Thanks given: 2 times
Started RVing: 1996

Postby Ejay-Hughes » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:30 pm

Responding to a 'very' old post here, but 'heh' I'm still new and feeling my way around!!!!!,....years ago we owned a Chiringuito on Playa Macenas in Mojacar (Almeria Province), and despite it being illegal almost every night the beach would fill with 'wildcampers' !!,...so much so that in the end the Guardia began to ignore it at let them be!!!,...."I'm guessing that it will remain the same today!!!"
Ejay-Hughes

Started RVing: 0

Postby Groundhog » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:01 pm

We are currently in Portugal and although we don't wild camp there are numerous places where it is either allowed or tolerated. Many of the beach parking areas have toilet facilities and some even have cafe's/restaurants.

We have been to many remote beaches where there can be anything from one to twenty or thirty motorhomers wild camping. It may be that at this time of year it is more acceptable. During the summer months it may be a different issue.

I would suggest you just drive around and talk to other motorhomers to find out where the best locations are.
Groundhog

Thanks given: 2 times
Started RVing: 2008

Postby christopher1 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:51 pm

We are at the moment in camping Marjal in Spain (the old site) we travelled from Roscoff down through France staying at different Aires,then when we reached Spain we wildcamped all the way along the coast to Alicante, and we have had no problems it maybe because of the time of year.We have wildcamped for the last 4 years in places some people would never go, and again maybe we are the lucky ones and never had any problems. We also know plenty of RVers wildcamping out there.
christopher1

Started RVing: 2005

Return to Wildcamping