• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Considering an RV..

If you're new to RVing this is the place to ask your questions. Don't worry, there's no such thing as a dumb question!

Considering an RV..

Postby splitbus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi Guys,

I have looked at motorhomes on and off over the passed few years but never took the plundge.

Me and my wife used to go camping a lot but now we are blessed with 4 young children. We recentyl went camping but what with setting up and then not sleeping kids cramped up etc..etc.. ITs just not suitable for weekend breaks or should i say it doesn't feel like a holiday for us :):)
Hence I was looking at the possibility of getting a motorhome to do weekend trips, and spend time away in the summer holidays etc.. Hopefully this will work out more fun and cheaper than package based holidays.

Now because of the size of my family I think the Euro wagons are too small for all us and you seem to get so much more for your money if going down the RV route.

The sort of size I am looking at is around 32ft. I will have to do my class C license as I don't have C1. I am actually happy about this as I am sure it will make me a safer driver... It would Seem daunting to just get straight behind the wheel of one these bad boys!!!

Now I have a couple of reservations that maybe you guys can help me with;

Is it feasible to just get in and go for the weekend? Are there an abundance of site available?
Do I have to tow another car?? How do you guys plan trips without or is it a must have? In that case does it need to be on a trailer rather than A frame? Do I just tow my grand voyager or something smaller? Do camp-sites cater for your trailer???
Are they easy to use in Europe?
Are they easy to get setup on sites, i.e reversing etc.. etc..
What free parking is available as they are pretty self sufficient.
Are places accessible i.e if you want to sight see etc.. How do you guys do it?? Park and ride??
Are they practical for scotland?

In your opinion and experience is it worth a young family like us getting one? If we were in america i wouldn't be asking but just wondering on the overall practicality here in the UK??

Now down to selection, I like the winnebago and damon's as a make?? Any feedback??
Budget I want to spend a max of £30k

Thanks in advance

Scott
splitbus

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2013

Advertisement

Re: Considering an RV..

Postby Mrtibbs » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:31 pm

splitbus wrote:Hi Guys,

I have looked at motorhomes on and off over the passed few years but never took the plundge.

Me and my wife used to go camping a lot but now we are blessed with 4 young children. We recentyl went camping but what with setting up and then not sleeping kids cramped up etc..etc.. ITs just not suitable for weekend breaks or should i say it doesn't feel like a holiday for us :):)
Hence I was looking at the possibility of getting a motorhome to do weekend trips, and spend time away in the summer holidays etc.. Hopefully this will work out more fun and cheaper than package based holidays.

Now because of the size of my family I think the Euro wagons are too small for all us and you seem to get so much more for your money if going down the RV route.

The sort of size I am looking at is around 32ft. I will have to do my class C license as I don't have C1. I am actually happy about this as I am sure it will make me a safer driver... It would Seem daunting to just get straight behind the wheel of one these bad boys!!!

Is it feasible to just get in and go for the weekend? Are there an abundance of site available?
Do I have to tow another car?? How do you guys plan trips without or is it a must have? In that case does it need to be on a trailer rather than A frame? Do I just tow my grand voyager or something smaller? Do camp-sites cater for your trailer???
Are places accessible i.e if you want to sight see etc.. How do you guys do it?? Park and ride??

In your opinion and experience is it worth a young family like us getting one? If we were in america i wouldn't be asking but just wondering on the overall practicality here in the UK??

Now down to selection, I like the winnebago and damon's as a make?? Any feedback??

Thanks in advance

Scott

Hi Scott
Where to start???
I think getting an RV is the best way that you can get your family away on holidays and the best thing is that most of the time you can decide on a Friday morning that you want to go away and then be away that evening.
Providing you buy a reasonable sized RV you should have no trouble getting pitches, that said some sites don't like RVs of any size so you won't get in. Getting something over 35+ feet long will present you with difficulties in my opinion, but maybe some others will comment soon.
We have (and are selling) a 33 foot Georgie Boy Landau with out little tow car, so if you are interested please look in the For Sale section http://www.arvclub.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=4699 for details.
If you intend to tow a car abroad then it seems that you are better getting a trailer to tow it as the local (Spanish) police do not like A Frames, there are some posts to that effect if you search the forum. Towing a car is not mandatory but we have found that it helps with getting out and about easily. Be aware that if the car you buy to tow behind weighs more than 750Kgs you will need to investigate gaining a C+E license, I have a C1+E and our car weighs less than 500Kgs (RV weighs 7500Kgs), so we are OK and within the limitations of my license, but do be careful....
Lots of our members use their RVs throughout Europe with great success, we have been over a couple of times and enjoyed the trips immensely. We used Aires most of the time during a 2 week holiday and found them to be superb in the main, with exceptions.....
Setting up really depends upon you, your experience and where you park. Basically it is simple, for instance in my RV, I simply pull up on pitch, switch on the levelling system and wait for it to establish which jacks need to be where and with little effort, just pushing a couple of buttons, I have the coach levelled. This of course depends upon the lye of the land.... Then I press another switch to extend the slide out into position, taking care to observe for any obstructions etc. By this time my wife has got the kettle in operation and we have a cuppa (or in Sharons case, a nice glass of wine :))
I can then plug into the electric if it is available and we are set. Total time spent about 10 minutes (including stirring the coffee).
I hope that this helps you.

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby RVNUT » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:42 pm

Absolutely right!

Anything bigger will give a novice problems particularly in Europe.

Is it feasible to just get in and go for the weekend? Are there an abundance of site available? In summer you will not have to winterise it so quick getaways are easy.
Plenty of places, suggest you join ACSI or Camping and Caravan club for sites,best to phone ahead and ensure you can reserve a pitch, bit tricky at short notice in school holidays.
Conflict of opinion here, we don't tow, reasons,
1. Don't fancy it you can get in enough trouble without another 12 feet behind you.
2.Really need a trailer in Europe, big controversy over A frames, trailers not cheap.
3. Cost of fuel increases.
4.Ferry costs increase, especially on long trips e.g. Portsmouth/Santander.
5. Preferably small car for weight and fuel reasons, I would need to buy another one, tax and insure it. I don't fancy towing my Jag and we only have one car now my wife can no longer drive & I love my car almost as much as my RV!
Solution :- When we need one we hire a little Fiat or something small for a few days for sightseeing, shopping etc. £35 per day plus petrol ant this time of the year! We also have folding bikes, cheap at Argos.
95% of the time, with a good commercial vehicle Sat Nav with height, weight and width restrictions you should not get into trouble, (you will, but you shouldn't!). We have all been in some tight spots at times but once you get the hang of it you will stop worrying about it (until the next time).
Read the site books for any height or access restriction, all too many sites have length restrictions some as low as 8 or 10 metres. Low branches and trees generally will be a challenge. Get one with or retrofit a reversing camera (more reliable than just the wife).
Set up on site 30 mins with awning etc, hook up only, 5mins.
Loads of Aires around in Europe, guides can be bought online (VacariousBooks.co.uk). Not a lot in UK, in Scotland you can wild camp, so with an onboard generator no problem.
Car hire, public transport, trips from campsites or rally organised, all adds to the FUN.
The roads are generally narrow and the verges in bad condition, I would not recommend it for a first trip until you are used to the width. Alec Salmon seems to think free prescriptions more important than fixing the roads.

As you said above the US RV's are far better than the European cardboard ones, you have a beefy engine and they go on for years, I met some people in the US with 500,000 miles on them, now that's value for money!

Fleetwood on a Workhorse chassis. But I am biased!
Should get something decent for that.

Hope I haven't frightened you off, it's very good fun, the children will LOVE IT, you sound young enoungh to get the hang of it, most of us were a lot older , so you can teach old dogs new tricks!
You will have years of fun, use it as much as possible, you will never regret it. Keep us all up to speed on your progress.
RVNUT

Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2006

Postby Mrtibbs » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:06 pm

Great post above, well done....

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times
Started RVing: 2003

Return to Starting out