• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Which antifreeze do you use?

If you're new to RVing this is the place to ask your questions. Don't worry, there's no such thing as a dumb question!

Which antifreeze do you use?

Postby Sketts » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi all, a question! Do you buy RV antifreeze to put down your plug holes and water tanks or do you use regular antifreeze that you would put in your radiator? Also, do you know if they are the same product just labeled differently? I ask because the RV antifreeze seems to be much more expensive than the stuff I would put in my radiator!
Sketts

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2013

Advertisement

Re: Which antifreeze do you use?

Postby popeye » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi ,
I take it you mean to winterize the R V for a while .Call me a cheap-skate , but I drain all my tanks and leave the drains open ,make sure you drain the hot water boiler .I then put a couple of tablespoons of salt in all the water traps .Never had any freeze-ups yet (touch wood).I have also jacked ours up on blocks and covered the wheels ,charged all the batteries up ,and disconnected them .Probably more I should do ,open to suggestions .
Cheers POPEYE ! !
P S You could allways go to Spain/Portugal till it warms up in U K lol :lol:
popeye

Started RVing: 2009

Postby Sketts » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks for the advise and yes, the antifreeze question is regarding winterising an RV, I'd still like to know if both types of antifreeze is the same stuff with different labels though If anyone knows!
The Spain/Portugal idea is superb, it was our plan to be there for January/February but this time too many unforeseen circumstances seem to have put a stop to that :( looks like we'll be having our winter maiden voyage in not so sunny Clacton instead of Europe lol
Sketts

Postby Sketts » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:42 am

I have found the answer to my own question! Rad antifreeze is different to RV antifreeze, apparently if you put radiator antifreeze in your RV water system can end up blind or dead or both!
Sketts

Postby Mrtibbs » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:09 pm

Sketts wrote:I have found the answer to my own question! Rad antifreeze is different to RV antifreeze, apparently if you put radiator antifreeze in your RV water system can end up blind or dead or both!

Quite correct, never put engine antifreeze into the potable water system of your RV...... It'll make you very poorly.

Keith
There are no pockets in a shroud
"Life is a gift, Freedom is a responsibility."
Amateurs .. Built the ark. Professionals .. Built the Titanic"
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Mrtibbs

Thanks given: 133 times
Started RVing: 2003

Postby doug » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:24 pm

An interesting fact is that the antidote for ingesting anti-freeze is alcohol. It stops the body metabolising the glycol long enough for you to get help. Of course, don't drive to the hospital afterwards. :lol:
Regards Doug

I keep pressing escape but I'm still here

The American RV Club - The friendly club
doug

Invitations sent: 479
Registered friends: 91
Thanks given: 146 times
Started RVing: 2001

Return to Starting out