• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join in on the forum and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice. Membership of the club costs just £25 per annum and brings even more benefit than just the forum.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Help required understanding IVA M1 (Basic) Please

If you're new to RVing this is the place to ask your questions. Don't worry, there's no such thing as a dumb question!

Help required understanding IVA M1 (Basic) Please

Postby blueboybrian » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:14 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Hi
I have imported my 2006 Ford Fourwinds Majestic 23a back from the USA in November last year. It has basically been laid up at a friends garage for a year, as we continued our travels to Oz and NZ, where we rented smaller campers. We were stung for 4K duty, but I have appealed this, as although the vehicle was returned after 8 months ownership and being abroad, I had to return for medical reasons, and had no real alternative but to bring it home. I was not told at the time that medical reasons can mean your exempt from duty (Watch this space) Any advice on that alone would be welcome...

However I have now got round to taking it for its initial IVA test which it obviously failed, and I was provided with an advice sheet and 6 months to get the things done.
I had a quote from an RV conversion company who want about 5K for the conversion and registration which I thought was steep, and they mentioned some things that are not on my particular IVA notice. The problem I have is that I cant really make full head nor tail of the IVA notice, nor indeed the M1 manual online, as its in gobbldygook. A family member took it to VOSA for me (If I would have gone myself I would have made full notes) and I understand some of what they were told, but I did wonder if anyone has been through it recently who could perhaps look over my IVA and perhaps give me some advice. I would of course be prepared to provide a scotch or two on any rallys that we might meet at.
Thanks and Merry Christmas
Brian
;) ;) ;)
blueboybrian

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2012

Advertisement

Re: Help required understanding IVA M1 (Basic) Please

Postby Groundhog » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:30 am

Having recently gone through the IVA process, albeit through a dealer, I can confirm that it is a bit of a minefield. It would also appear that the requirements to get a pass certificate for an RV are open to interpretation and to a certain extent depend on which test centre is involved.

As each RV will have different modification requirements it may be difficult to get an exact cost but I would suggest that £3k to £5k is about what will be charged by any 3rd party undertaking the work. If you go the 3rd party route I would suggest that you ask for a fixed price for your particular vehicle with a guarantee of an IVA pass and UK registrtion or your money back. Also, use a company that already has a history with VOSA and can show evidence of getting RV,s through the process.

Going it alone may or may not be slightly cheaper but will certainly take considerably longer and be a lot more hassle with no guarantee of success.

Good luck and let us know how things progress.
Groundhog

Thanks given: 2 times
Started RVing: 2008

Re: Help required understanding IVA M1 (Basic) Please

Postby blueboybrian » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks Groundhog.
After the festive period, I will post what I understand the IVA to be requesting. Some of it is basic (ie remove the towbar), but issue like protrusions of sills, handles, lockers, hinges etc? How are you supposed to get them flush?

Anyhow have a nice festive period everyone
Blue
blueboybrian

Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 2012

Return to Starting out