• Advertisement

Hi, Thank you for visiting us at the American RV Club. This is the only open forum run by a non-profit making club specifically for American motorhomes.

Please take a couple of minutes to register and choose an ID. It is completely free to join and you'll then be able to access a treasure trove of help and advice.

The American RV Club is often described as the friendly club and that's the watch word on the forum as well. Come on in, you're a friend we're waiting to meet.

Regards The committee

Choosing an RV ! Help !!!!

If you're new to RVing this is the place to ask your questions. Don't worry, there's no such thing as a dumb question!

Choosing an RV ! Help !!!!

Postby brook58 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:57 pm

Just considering an RV for full time living - mainly in one local place but occasionally travelling round the UK and Europe. Not sure what I should be buying - need to be able to drive on car licence- budget well up to 50k maybe a bit more if tempted ! All ideas and advice welcome And a Happy Christmas to you All
brook58

Invitations sent: 0
Registered friends: 0
Thanks given: 0 times
Started RVing: 0

Advertisement

Re: Choosing an RV ! Help !!!!

Postby tarphenry » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:53 am

Hi buying an RV is a very personal thing .The best thing to do is look at as many as you can ,and choose something your happy with. There are good and bad of all the types and everyone has a different opinion.For me ,the non slide rear engined cummins was the best ,but as i said thats only one opinion there will no doubt be many others. Best of luck Mick
tarphenry

Thanks given: 4 times
Started RVing: 1991

Postby simsy56 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:57 am

It really is a personal thing. We had an A class Winnebago, which we loved, but, for family reasons we sold it, and went the 5th wheel way. Totally different, but, to be honest, the 5th wheel is becoming liked as much as the the A class.
We have slightly more room due to a larger slide out, all the amenities, and the convenience of a vehicle to use all year round.
It is horses for courses, and if money was no object, i think i would revert to an A class pusher.............or would i?

Craig
simsy56

Started RVing: 2010

Postby Panama Jack » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:26 pm

Interesting topic, RV for use in UK & Europe.
We went over to the USA and bought an R-Vision Trail Lite as it's chassis was / is ....legal in Europe at 96" and used it from Alaska to Panama [USA, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Costa Rica, NIcaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico] and from Key West in Florida to Toronto in Canada over a 6 year period doing only 60,000 miles :-)
Since bringing it back to be registered in the UK and to our home in Southern France, we've found the rules appear to have been relaxed somewhat....but size does matter; for living in and for driveability on European roads.
As others say; it's personal but may I give you some questions to answer?
1/ How much mileage do you intend to do....[petrol v diesel]?
2/ How much do you intend to use the RV....[slide v no slide, fixed bed v no fixed bed]...??
2/a/ If you don't intend to tow a car it may have an impact on what the size of RV is most practical for you.....unless you're a biker of course....will you need a "garage" or platform to stow a bike, motor bike or scooter, or will you up sticks and use it for the weekly shopping even if your tanks will last 2 > 4 weeks?
3/ What kid of "creature comforts" do you require....electrically speaking :-).....[room on the roof for solar panels....will your RV have or need a generator v camp ground costs].....???
4/ If you intend to use it all year round....do check out the insulation....poor insulation makes a big impact...... not just on comfort but on running costs...AC in summer and heating in winter.

I think after answering these questions you'll have a better idea of what might suit you best and you should get a very decent RV for your budget....any other questions.......just ask.
Happy hunting....PJ.

The following people have thanked the author Panama Jack for this post:
Mrtibbs
Panama Jack

Started RVing: 2001

Return to Starting out